Friday, April 17, 2009

Think on this

Then Jesus said to them, "As you go throughout the world, proclaim the Good News to all creation. Whoever trusts and is immersed will be saved; whoever does not trust will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who do trust: in My name they will drive out demons, speak with new tongues, not be injured if they handle snakes or drink poison, and heal the sick by laying hands on them.
Mark 16:15-18



Have you ever stopped and thought, I mean really thought on this verse?
Have you ever asked yourself, "why don't we see and experience these things today in our relationship with Christ and in the body of believers that we worship with on a weekly basis?
I was reading this passage of Scripture this past Easter Sunday, pondering what Christ went through and gave for me there upon that cross. And God spoke to my heart and said, this is what my children, you and I, those of us who are in fellowship with Christ, should be doing still today. These scriptures were not just for "back then" they are still very relevant for us today!
why do we not see these signs today? It says here that "these signs will accompany those who do trust". Could it be possible that we say we trust but don't really, fully trust in the full sense of the word? I believe so! How many times have you heard someone say, " I am going through a really hard time right now, but I am trusting God that it is all going to come out okay in the end", but will you pray for me because I am really struggling with worry over this"? Stop and think about that for a moment. Haven't they just contradicted themselves? According to God's Word, yes they have! For if they were trusting they would not be worried!
I believe the reason we don't see these things happening today in our own lives and the lives of others around us is that we don't really trust God. We don't take what He says and believe it is for us and that we have the power through His Holy Spirit to make these things happen!
I believe the reason we don't trust is that we don't take the time to really get to know who God is. Think about this...when you were dating your spouse did you study them and find out what they liked and disliked? Did you make it a priority to know who they are? Most of us would say yes! That is exactly what we should be doing with God. He has provided His Word as our way of knowing who He is. But in order for us to do that we need to be really studying it, as much as we can!
I challenge you today to start digging into the Scriptures with the prayer of your heart being, "Lord, reveal to me who you are as I study your Word. Show me more of you so that I may come into the full knowledge of you and be able to honestly say that I trust you in all things."

No comments: